Guar (Cluster beans) is cultivated primarily in the Indian subcontinent for ripe seeds, an essential ingredient in the production of guar gum. Young seedpods can also be used in place of long beans and French beans.
It is also consumed as a vegetable in a local curry recipe. Guar has an exotic taste similar to other legumes and helps improve soil health in plantations.
Today I’ll show you how to grow a cluster bean at home so that you are free to try the same. Guar has a mild bitterness, but once you get used to it, it will surely become one of your favorites.
Many people prefer to grow in their garden because the texture of what is on the market is usually harsh. Today’s guide is aimed at anyone who wants to know how to grow Gawalfari from scratch at home.
Cluster Bean Facts and Characteristics
Cluster beans can be cultivated in containers and balconies without any problems. Since it is easy to germinate, it can be sown directly on the ground. These beans are cultivated throughout India because they have a certain affinity for sandy and well-drained soils.
- Guar beans are specially harvested in the summer to provide a unique blend of taste and health.
- First, let’s take a quick look at the benefits associated with consuming cluster beans.
- Guar beans are rich in calcium and strengthen bones to prevent bone loss. They contain sugar nutrients that help maintain optimal blood sugar levels in our bodies.
- Guar can lower the levels of LDL and bad cholesterol in our body and have a healthy effect on the heart. Rich in potassium, fiber, and folic acid, it helps protect the heart from various cardiovascular complications.
- Guar beans have hypoglycemic and lipid-lowering effects that help effectively treat high blood pressure. Both heart disease and diabetes can trigger high blood pressure, and regular intake of guar beans can actively contain both. It’s a great laxative that can improve your digestive system by stimulating bowel movements.
- This helps flush toxins from our system and allows us to lead healthier lives. Broad beans are high in iron, which promotes the production of hemoglobin in our body.
- Guar beans have hypoglycemic properties that help calm our nerves and reduce anxiety. Broad beans are known by various names in the Indian subcontinent. It is called Goru Chikkudu in Telugu and Guar in Hindi.
The nomenclature of this nutrient power plant also varies from state to state. Known as Gawal in Maharashtra, Guardifari in Punjab, Gawarkifari in Rajasthan, and Gwarfali in Gujarat. The scientific name for this vegetable is Cyamopsis tetragonoloba. Cluster beans
The cluster bean system can be easily embedded in a container. It will be planted as soon as other beans are planted. You can buy high-quality seeds online or in the nursery. Beans have long straight roots. It is not recommended to port it so that it can be placed correctly where it is needed. Loosen the soil you plan to plant, add plenty of compost to the soil, and remove the surrounding weeds. Remember that the soil needs to be drained well. Sow the seeds to a depth of 1-1.5 inches and cover with light soil. The seeds germinate in a few days. A thin planting 6 inches away is suitable for this. Cluster beans
Sowing is carried out by the transfer method, with early harvests in February and March, but the main harvest season begins in June or July when the monsoon begins. In any case, it is sown in September and October. Cluster beans
Soil and location
Cyamopsis tetragonolob can be cultivated on many types of soil without problems. Broad beans breed perfectly on well-drained sandy loam and loam soils. Heavy and flooded soil can damage plants. It does not grow well on salty or alkaline soils. A soil pH of 7-8.5 is suitable for this. Cluster beans
Climate suitable for broad beans Guar is a tropical vegetable that grows well in warm environments. The correct temperature for a plant to germinate is 30 to 35 degrees Celsius, but a temperature of 38 degrees Celsius gives the plant proper growth. These plants can withstand high temperatures of 45 degrees. This is a light-sensitive and unsafe crop. Cluster beans
Cyamopsis tetragonolob plants prefer the water, so they need plenty of water during the planting and growing seasons. Lack of water can delay aging. Since it is a drought-resistant plant, it can be easily grown even in areas with an annual rainfall of 300,400 mm. There should be a good drainage system for your plants, flooding can damage crops. Drip irrigation can be used to increase productivity. Cluster beans
How to grow a cluster bean in a container
You can use the above planting process to grow guar plants in a container, but check the drain holes on the surface before planting in a pot. Cluster beans
Broad bean (guar) care Guar plants are very drought tolerant and frost-sensitive, but prefer the full sun. The plants operate regularly and have some rainfall, but require additional water during the growing and mature stages. Since
Cyamopsis tetragonoloba is a guar plant; many types of weeds grow automatically around the plant and compete with the main plant for nutrients and water, so it needs to be removed. Cluster beans
Guar pest problem
- Plants are also susceptible to different types of pests.
- Generally, it is difficult to keep cicadas, weevil,s and pod augers. There are several easy ways to control it. Bacterial spoilage in guar plants is a disease caused by bacteria.
- The disease mainly occurs on the surface of leaves during the harvest season in the Harif season. Alternaria leaf stains are a fungal disease with dark brown spots on the leaves of plants.
- Anthrax causes black spots on the leaves, stomach, and stems.
- Powdery mildew is a common fungal disease in which the surface of the leaves looks like white powder.
Beans are surrounded together by fertile bean plants, all striving around the entire trunk. Your plants produce a lot for at least 3 months. Flowers begin to be planted 1 to 1.5 months after planting. It takes about 2 to 2.5 months to remove the pods from the flowers. When the vegetables are harvested, do not ripen them sufficiently. When you want to make seeds, the pods dry on the tree. Cluster beans